Friday, May 18, 2012

Timeless books from a modern brand

Granta books are like D’Angelo LPs: I would buy one without having heard a single track or, in this context, without having read a single word. Brands in publishing are a dying breed. The days of the Penguin paperbacks belong to a bygone age. Yes, there is the Modern Classics series and the Vintage Classics but for contemporary literature i.e. in the last ten to fifteen years, guaranteed to stand the test of time – fiction and non-fiction –you can’t beat a Granta release. Recently, I’ve bought three for no other reason than they were published by Granta and my faith in the brand was handsomely rewarded. 

In the last month, Amitav Ghosh’s In An Antique Land, Sven Lindqvist’s Saharan Journey and Noo Saro-Wiwa’s Looking for Transwonderland have educated, entertained and enchanted me. Barbara Ehrenreich’s Nickel and Dimed has enraged me and Craig Taylor’s Londoners has made me see my home city in a whole new light. What more could you ask from a publishing house and its authors?

This was the first time I had read any of these writers. Thanks to Granta, it won’t be the last.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin