Saturday, May 05, 2012

Reading other’s work


In the last few months, I’ve been privileged to read the work of three writers who are aspiring to publication or performance, a playwright and two non-fiction authors. Each of the works was deeply affecting with a social conscience and a political message. Long after I had read the last page I was still thinking about the stories and the issues they raised. 

It’s exciting to be there at the birth of nascent but assured talent, to be in at the beginning of a career. And it’s a mutually beneficial arrangement. 

They get:
  • constructive criticism that they can use (or not) to improve their work;
  • an impartial eye and an honest tongue;
  • someone to bounce ideas off who understands the all-consuming nature of the creative process.
I get:
  • great pleasure from reading their work and watching it develop.
  • to learn about the world and see things from a new perspective.
  • to sharpen my criticism skills and to develop my own network of potential readers of my work.
I know what a huge deal it is to hand over your work - your baby - for criticism, the manuscript that you’ve spent months, sometimes years, slaving over, and I feel truly honoured to have been asked for my opinion. Needless to say, all three writers have now become friends. Over the last three months, I’ve learned so much from them and about them, and myself, and I look forward to seeing their work in print and on stage.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin